Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Entrenching reward system,titled players

Odulele
Topic starter
(@odulele)

I am informed that Egypt has adopted a reward system for top 10 rated players. In Nigeria, I believe that *ALL*  titled players (arbiters, trainers, etc) should be thus professionally recognised through sustainable income. This would give much needed incentive to both the recipients and the aspiring. It would also help with gaining parent support. Chess is seldom viewed, in Nigeria, as an alternative source of income. This makes parents and guardians sceptical about time spent on it.

Incidentally, I believe the same kind of permanent programme is due with regards to all sports!

5 Replies
Fawole John Oyeyemi
(@fawolizzo)

This is a nice idea. A reward system for top players, Arbiters and Titled Players.

In my opinion, if this has to be achieved, we must set a standard.

Maybe top ten players, Not so sure about International Arbiters and titled players. 

4 Replies
Ndakwo1
(@ndakwo1)

@fawolizzo Yes please, for encouragement purposes. Left to me, out of 100participants 25-30 top players should be rewarded.

Fawole John Oyeyemi
(@fawolizzo)

@ndakwo1: Sounds good to me. Maybe titled players or top 10 should be on government’s payroll.

Odulele
(@odulele)

@fawolizzo, thanks for your comments and support. 1.Concerning titled players and arbiters cum trainers, I believe the effort to become ANY title holder whatsoever is proof of devotion worthy of emulation. The challenge is that if everybody just wants to play, who does the admin stuff? Who searches for sponsors? Who trains the up and coming? Are rewards not due to our primary school teachers? And chess arbiters usually go through a player phase before getting into the more administrative stuff anyway.Enough said about that, though. 

2. The idea of top '10' players (alone) is problematic also. It is in the character of sport itself that changes in hierarchy are both staccato rapid and constant. So you are top 10 in January, for example. What happens when your rating changes briefly in Feb or March?

3. FIDE titles are supposed to be for life, hence my suggestion for titled players. Remember that we set the rules for Government by pressure in suggestion. Visionary ideas require an all-inclusive beneficial purpose. 

4. Most likely, this concept will gather momentum from government pioneering, into a stage where corporate bodies will start to use sports personalities as ambassadors; culling from all sports, not just chess. As an elitist game, we should set the pace, and by getting the most from the idea. Anti trainer/arbiter sentiment will possibly work at cross purposes.

My humble take.

Fawole John Oyeyemi
(@fawolizzo)

@odulele: Apt! Thank you so much for this insight. This is well elaborated. 

Share: