The Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup was held online on Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th of February 2021. The KCF University Cup is an international online event which is open to teams from any university, college, community college, etc. The Organization Team of the competition are:
• Michael Khodarkovsky, Kasparov Chess Foundation President
• GM Alex Onischuk, US Chess College Committee Chair
• Grant Oen, International Arbiter
• GM Zlatko Klaric, KCF Adriatic Director
• Graham Jurgensen, KCF Africa Director
• Ignatius Leong, International Arbiter, KCF Asia-Pacific Director
• GM Darcy Lima, KCF Lusophone Director
• Hiquingari Carranza, KCF Ibero-America Director
The event which held on Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th of February 2021 was a nine round Swiss System tournament played on lichess.org with a time control of 10 minutes plus 5 second increment per move. Although the event was not rated by US Chess, FIDE, or URS but prizes were given.
1. Plaques were awarded to the top three teams in the final overall standings.
2. First place team winner received the KCF University Cup and an online team training session with Garry Kasparov.
3. Plaques were awarded to the top team in the U2200, U2000, and U1800 rating categories.
4. The top team in the U2200 category also received an online team training session with Garry Kasparov.
5. Plaques were awarded to the top team per FIDE Continent (Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe).
Schedule for the Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup
A total of 125 Universities Participated and the University of Benin, Nigeria came Top African Team over all other African university teams present at the just concluded Kasparov Chess Foundation University Cup.
University of Benin, Nigeria.
|Team Composition||Individual Performance|
|Board 1||Igwubor Kikosem||3½/9|
|Board 2||Ogosi Mary-Raphael||4/9|
|Board 3||Eyetonghan Denyefa Callistus||6½/9|
|Board 4||Iwinosa Osagie-Okah||2/5|
|Board 5||Afam Ernest||3½/4|
The top three teams in the final overall standings are:
University of Texas at Rio Grande Valley (A) – 1st place
University of Missouri – Mizzou (A) – 2nd place
Texas Tech University (A) – 3rd place