- The first SA Closed Chess Championships was held in Burg street, Cape Town in 1892 and was played at the now present-day Food court but then was known as the Metropolitan Hall.
- The crosstable shows the following competitors
- The prize fund was £80, and the first prize was £25.
- The joint winners were Mr A. J. Rivett from Graff Reinet and Mr Roberts from Cape Town. They scored 9.5 out of 11. I note that FM Calvin Klaasen is from the area closest to Graaf Reinet.
Klaasen at draws of 2017 SA Closed
- The second SA Closed was held in 1897 in the same venue and was won by Roberts with Rivett not playing.
- The rate of play was 25 moves per hour with sessions of four hours duration.
- It is thus innovative that this event has a bit more moves to make!
- The Olympiad in 2020 will be held in Khanty Mansiysk with the starting date being 1 August 2020. That means that the event is less than 8 months away!
- SA has now since 1992 when it made its debut played in Olympiads in the Philippines, Russia, Armenia, Kalmykia, Turkey, Slovenia, Spain, Italy, Germany, Russia, Turkey, Norway, Azerbaijan, Georgia and now next year Russia again. The women’s team has been playing since 1998. The first SA team made its debut in 1992 on 7 June when they played against Argentina.
- The long-term participant development programme appears to be working in Chess as I have noticed that all the players involved in the 1992 and 1994 squads, FM Dr. Deon Solomon, Adv CM Maxwell Solomons, IM Watu Kobese, FM Charles de Villiers, IM David Gluckman and one Dr. CM Lyndon Bouah is still involved in chess generally in one form or another.
- I am glad to see that players from all over SA are competing in the various sections in this event.
- The players competing in this year are also becoming younger with many making their debut. We wish them well in this baptism of fire.
- We wish all the players well and may you enjoy our wonderful city and province. Explore Table Mountain, The Waterfront, explore the winelands and not too much exploration of Long Street and play good moves.
- The circular that have gone out has given the schedule and various details that is important. Please read it closely to follow the event.
- The sections this year number quite a few. The players are given chess-results.com and the players in the various sections are:
Good luck everyone.
Dr. Lyndon Bouah