The John Fawole Chess Awards 2019 has come and gone with loads of surprises, fun, games, drama, and laughs. Awards were given to the most deserving chess players, chess contributors, organizers, and arbiters all thanks to the maker and organizers of the awards.
The John Fawole Chess Awards also known as Nigeria Chess Awards is Nigeria’s most prestigious and anticipated chess awards which kicked off in 2016. The organizers and panel of judges of this award are back and out with the full list of awardees for the 2018 year in review.
The list below is what our panel of judges decided after votes were cast online.
1. Most outstanding chess player award (Male): Abdulrahman Abduraheem Akintoye
2. Most outstanding chess player (Female): Perpetual Ogbiyoyo
3. Arbiter of the year (Male): Olawale Peter Oyeleye
4. Best organised chess tournament of the year: MGI
5. Tournament director of the year: Olawale Peter Oyeleye
6. Most outstanding senior award: Erhabor David
7. Award of recognition for most outstanding in WAUG: Daniel Anwuli
8. Award of Recognition for most outstanding in WAUG: Perpetual Ogbiyoyo
9. Promoter of the year award: Salem Fly
10. Award of recognition for the most outstanding grassroot development project -Chess in the slum: Tunde Onakoya
11. Personality of the year award: Tajudeen Oyeneyin
12. Award of recognition for the most outstanding all-time tournament director: Rotimi Dasaolu
13. Team leader of the year: Ayokanmi Ajayi
14. Most Outstanding u-10 player award (Male): Osadebe Emmanuel
15. Most Outstanding u-10 player award (Female): Oluyisola Abiola Diamond
16. Most outstanding u-20 player (Male): Kikosem Igwubor
17. Most outstanding u-20 player (Female): Akintoye Deborah
18. Most consistent online player award: Aikhoje Odion
19. Best online tournament award: chess online Nigeria (CNO)
20. Arbiter of the Year (Female): Alhaji Tayo Amisu
23 Awards of Recognition for People who have contributed immensely to the development of Chess in Nigeria.
1. Bimbo Fajemirokun
2. Ayo Tuase
3. Nnamdi Nwoye
4. Robert Asibor
5. George Lolomari
6. Femi Adebajo
7. Lekan Adeyemi
8. Rotimi Odunaiya
9. Adewole Adeyinka
10. DIG Rtd. Sani. Mohammed
11. Ajibola Olanrewaju
12. Rachael Dappa
13. Aisha Jimoh Ibrahim
14. Rabiu Olabisi
15. Magnus Epkiken
16. Bode Durotoye
17. Dasaolu Rotimi
18. Tolu Ogunwobi
19. Kenneth Odeh
20. Bayo Babalola
21. Niyi Oriolowo
22. Ikechukwu Igwunze
23. The Executives- Chevron Recreation Club, Gbagada Lagos.
The John Fawole Chess Awards 2019 held at Chevron Recreation Club, Gbagada, Lagos Nigeria.